Makes: 8 servings
Prep Time: 6 hours - 24 hours
Cook Time: 2 1/2 hours
Grilled Chicken Salad With Lime Pale Ale Dressing
Lime Pale Ale Dressing:
1 cup Pale Ale beer
1 teaspoon grated lime zest
½ cup fresh lime juice
3 Tablespoons whole grain mustard
1 Tablespoon honey
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon ground white pepper
1 ¼ cups canola oil
1 Tablespoon fresh chives or minced
Marinade and Chicken:
½ cup Pale Ale beer
3 Tablespoons orange marmalade
4 cloves garlic, smashed with side of a knife
1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
8 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (about 3 pounds)
Olive oil for grilling
1 pound asparagus, ends trimmed
1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
1 large cucumber, thinly sliced
1 (16 ounce) bag washed mixed baby greens
8 ounces crumbled gorgonzola or blue cheese
½ cup toasted pecan pieces
- Prepare Lime Pale Ale Dressing by combining on low speed in blender or food processor the Pale Ale beer, lime zest, lime juice, mustard, honey, salt and pepper. With machine running, slowly add canola oil, a few drops at a time, then pour in a steady stream until incorporated and dressing is emulsified. Stir in chives. Dressing may be made up to 2 days ahead and stored in refrigerator.
- In large zipper lock storage bag, make marinade by combining Pale Ale beer, marmalade, garlic cloves and mustard, squeezing to blend well. Add chicken; seal bag and toss to coat chicken. Refrigerate at least 2 hours, or up to 8 hours.
- Prepare gas grill with a medium-high heat. Remove chicken from marinade and pat dry with paper towel; discard marinade. Brush chicken and asparagus with olive oil. Grill chicken about 7 minutes, turning once, or until cooked through. Grill asparagus 2 to 3 minutes, turning frequently, until crisp-tender and slightly charred. Brush chicken and asparagus lightly with Lime Pale Ale Dressing before removing from grill.
- Remove chicken and asparagus to cutting board; cut chicken into thin strips and asparagus into ½ inch pieces. Place in large serving bowl; add cherry tomatoes and cucumber slices. Toss well. Add ½ cup Lime Pale Ale Dressing and salt and pepper to taste. Toss.
- For each salad, place 2 packed cups greens on each of 8 serving plates. Top with chicken and vegetable mixture. Sprinkle each serving with cheese and toasted pecans. Serve with extra dressing on the side. Leftover dressing can be stored in refrigerator up to 1 week.