Makes: 8 servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Fast-off-the-Grill Chorizo Quesadillas
3/4 pound bulk pork chorizo
5 (10-inch) flour tortillas
1 can (16 ounces) black bean refried beans
1/2 pound Colby cheese, grated
1 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves
Olive oil for brushing
1 1/2 cups store-bought tomatillo salsa (see Cook's note)
- Heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat.
- Use a spatula to crumble the chorizo as you place it in the pan.
- Sauté the chorizo until browned and cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the chorizo from the skillet to a plate.
- Arrange 5 tortillas on a work surface.
- Spread about 1/4 cup refried beans evenly over half of each tortilla, leaving a 1/2-inch border.
- Scatter about1/3 cup cooked chorizo over beans.
- Scatter a generous 1/3 cup of cheese over top.
- Divide and arrange cilantro over top of cheese.
- Fold opposite half of tortilla over the filling. (The quesadillas can be assembled up to 1 hour before serving. Cover loosely with plastic wrap so they don't dry out, andset aside at room temperature.)
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Brush outsides of tortillas with a small amount of oil.
- Using a wide spatula, transfer quesadillas to the grill.
- Grill on one side for about one minute, slide and turn quesadillas 90 degrees, grilling until nice cross-hatch grill marks appear.
- Slide spatula underneath to flip quesadillas and grill the second side.
- Transfer the quesadillas to a cutting board.
- Use a sharp knife or pizza cutter to cut the quesadillas into 5 wedges.
- Arrange on a platter and serve immediately accompanied with the tomatillo salsa.
Recipe courtesy of National Pork Board.