Makes: 10 - 12 servings
Prep Time: 1 hour
Cook Time: 2 hours
North Carolina Pulled Pork BBQ Sandwiches
5-to 5 1-2-pound boneless pork shoulder roast
2 cups cider vinegar
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon salt
Hot pepper sauce, to taste
10 to 12 hamburger buns, spit and toasted
4 cups wood chips (use hickory or oak chips for the best flavor)
- BBQ Sauce:
- In medium bowl, combine vinegar, brown sugar, red pepper flakes, Worcestershire sauce, salt and hot pepper sauce.
- Divide sauce into two portions; set aside.
Note: At least 1 hour before grilling, soak wood chips in enough water to cover; drain before using.
- Rub meat with salt and black pepper.
- Preheat the grill to medium heat.
- Add 1/2 inch hot water to drip pan.
- Sprinkle half of the drained wood chips over the coals.
- Place meat on grill rack over drip pan.
- Cover and grill about 4 hours or until meat is very tender.
- Remove meat from grill; cover with foil and let stand for 20-30 minutes.
- Using a fork, shred meat into long, thin strands.
- Pour sauce over shredded meat; toss to coat.
- Serve on toasted buns.