Makes: 4 servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes to Overnight
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Chicken Skewers with Grilled Mango
20 (10- to 12-inch) wooden skewers
3/4 cup plain yogurt
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 large garlic clove, minced
2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
6 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (about 2 pounds)
3 large, ripe mangoes
Cooking oil spray
- Preheat grill to medium heat.
- Soak skewers in warm water at least 20 minutes while chicken is marinating.
- In a large, shallow dish, mix together the yogurt, lemon juice, garlic, sugar, salt, turmeric, and pepper.
- Slice each chicken breast half lengthwise into 3 to 4 long strips.
- Add chicken to yogurt mixture and toss to coat.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 20 minutes or overnight, if desired.
- Lightly coat clean grids of grill with cooking oil spray. Heat grill to medium-high heat.
- Peel mangoes and slice large pieces from pits; discard pits.
- Remove chicken from marinade, shaking off excess, and thread on skewers.
- Arrange chicken diagonally across grids, without touching.
- Cook, with lid down, 3 minutes per side, until chicken is seared and just cooked through.
- Transfer chicken to a platter and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Place mango slices on grids and cook on both sides until just seared and warm, about 2 minutes per side.
- Serve skewers with grilled mango pieces.