Makes: 24 servings (1 gallon)
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Use Time: 12 - 36 hours
Brine for Smoked Salmon
1 gallon water
1 cup kosher salt
1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
lemon pepper to taste
1 (3 ounce) package dry crab and shrimp seasoning mix
freshly ground black pepper to taste
4 cloves garlic, crushed or to taste
1 dash hot pepper sauce (optional)
4 lemons, sliced and crushed
2 oranges, sliced and crushed
1 lime, sliced and crushed
1 large yellow onion, sliced
- Pour the water into a large bowl or small bucket.
Note: If you must use a pot, use one that does not contain aluminum.
- Stir in the kosher salt, white sugar, brown sugar, lemon pepper, parsley and seasoning mix.
- Add the garlic, hot pepper sauce, lemons, oranges, lime and onion.
- Soak your salmon in this brine for 12 to 36 hours.
- Remove salmon.
- Discrad remaining brine.
- Smoke using your desired method.