Makes: 4 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
1 1⁄2 pounds ground beef
4 slices sweet onion (1/2 inch)
8 slices Swiss process cheese food
1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon Dijon-style mustard
4 crusty rolls, split, toasted
Romaine lettuce, tomato slices
- Preheat grill to medium heat.
- Lightly shape ground beef into four 3/4-inch thick patties.
- Brush onion with oil.
- Place patties in center of grill; arrange onion around patties.
- Grill, uncovered to desired doneness or until patties are not pink in center and juices show no pink color and onions are tender, turning occasionally.
- Season with salt and pepper after turning.
- About 1 minute before patties are done, top each with 2 cheese slices.
- Combine mayonnaise and mustard; spread on top halves of rolls.
- Serve burgers and onion in rolls with lettuce and tomato.
Recipe and photo courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.