Makes: 16 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 80 - 100 minutes
Chicago Style Italian Beef Sandwiches
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 1 (4 lb.) beef bottom round roast
- 4 lg. green peppers
- 1 tbsp. instant beef bouillon granules
- 1 tsp. dried Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano leaves
- 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 1/4 c. water
- 16 pieces (6" each) crusty Italian or French bread, split
- Preheat grill to 300 degrees.
- Combine garlic, salt and pepper; rub evenly over roast.
- Place roast on rack in open roasting pan.
- Insert roast meat thermometer so bulb is centered in the thickest part. Do not add water. Do not cover.
- Cook until meat thermometer registers 135ºF. Allow 20-25 minutes per pound.
- Remove roast to a large platter.
- Pour drippings into 1 cup measure; skim off fat and discard fat.
- Reserve drippings.
- Cover roast and refrigerate until chilled.
- Meanwhile, place green peppers on rack in broiler pan.
- Broil for 10-15 minutes, or until skins blister, turn occasionally.
- Place peppers in paper bag; close, and let stand 15-20 minutes.
- Remove loosened skin and cut peppers in 3/4 inch strips; reserve.
- To prepare seasoned cooking liquid:
- Add water to drippings to equal 5 cups.
- Combine drippings, bouillon granules, Italian seasoning, oregano and red pepper in Dutch oven or large saucepan.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, carve roast across the grain into very thin slices or slice with meat slicer.
- Add sliced beef to seasoned liquid; cover and heat through. Do not overcook.
- Place reserved green pepper strips and 1/4cup water in large saucepan or skillet.
- Simmer for 2 minutes; drain.
- Serve beef on crusty bread, and top with seasoned gravy and green peppers. Yield 16 sandwiches.