Makes: 4 servings
Prep Time: 1 1/2 hours
Cook Time: 20 - 30 minutes
Bourbon Whiskey BBQ Sauce
1/2 onion, minced
4 cloves garlic, minced
3/4 cup bourbon whiskey
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 tablespoon salt
2 cups ketchup
1/4 cup tomato paste
1/3 cup cider vinegar
2 tablespoons liquid smoke flavoring
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, or to taste
- In a large skillet over medium heat, combine the onion, garlic, and whiskey.
- Simmer for 10 minutes, or until onion is translucent.
- Mix in the ground black pepper, salt, ketchup, tomato paste, vinegar, liquid smoke, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, and hot pepper sauce.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Run sauce through a strainer if you prefer a smooth sauce.
- Use a basting brush to apply to the meat.